Sustainable tourism (also referred to as eco-tourism, green tourism, or responsible tourism) is a way of managing travel activities so that the natural environment and local communities are preserved and supported. It relates to both minimizing the harmful impact of travel activities and providing beneficial influence. Sustainable tourism spans environmental, economic, and socio-cultural aspects.
Travel businesses mainly focus their sustainability-related efforts on
- decreasing carbon footprint and carbon offsetting;
- switching to alternative fuel and energy sources;
- intelligent resource usage and waste management (food, water, paper, etc.);
- recycling and reducing plastic usage;
- localizing their supply chains;
- inspiring collective action by educating customers, employees, and partners, and so on.
As for travelers, they can be more sustainable by using efficient transport modes, supporting local communities, minimizing resource consumption, recycling waste, and choosing sustainable travel partners.