Experiential travel is a form of tourism that consists of an active and meaningful engagement with a destination’s culture, people, and/or environment to create unique, memorable experiences.
Experiential travel comes in a variety of forms such as
- visiting exotic destinations;
- engaging in new activities, from hiking to skydiving;
- acquiring authentic local experiences (via food tasting, traditional activities, workshops, etc.);
- staying in an unusual place (e.g., a glamping cabin or a treehouse); or
- just doing anything exceptional and uncommon.
Experiential travel can be seen as an umbrella term for adventure travel (which typically involves an active outdoor pastime) and immersive travel (which is about connecting with the local community and getting to know the local culture).